AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Eirikur Hallgrimsson Eirikur@Microway.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 12:56:12 -0500

On Monday 21 January 2002 12:06, Joe wrote:
> So whatever happened to BSD? I can understand how Linux got momentum
> while BSD was still encumbered with ATT code, but that's ancient history

I think it's the GNU userland.  (non-kernel stuff)  I haven't used one of the
*BSDs, (I think I will try the forthcoming Debian NetBSD distro), but I had
to use a number of BSD-derived systems last year and I was frequently
frustrated.   The GNU utilities are just a lot more modern, support the nice
--real-english-word long option format, options are recognized anywhere on
the command line, etc.

I'm coming closer to accepting Richard Stallman's claim that "Linux" should
be called "GNU/Linux" because much of the time I can ignore the kernel, but I
really want to have the full GNU environment.

For people who don't use the command line, I don't expect there to be any
reason to choose Linux over BSD, and there may be some performance and
security reasons to go BSD.

Some software depends upon Linux features like the /proc filesystem.

I saw a benchmark that had FreeBSD being a bit faster than Linux for a lot of
things, but only a bit.   I tried installing it on my Alpha.  The
installation was very primitive and not robust enough to succeed in my case.

At Microway we don't seem to get customer requests for BSD clusters though we
do ship Compaq Tru-64 Unix (BSD-derived) on Alpha for some customers.