AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
21 Jan 2002 12:46:56 -0500

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 11:28, Eugene Leitl wrote:
> On 21 Jan 2002, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:
>
> > I know Linus and the kernel crew do not, and I expect a lot of the
> > current mainstream revel in the elitism of Linux.  My personal
> > opinion, and that of many others I know who are involved in adapting
> > Linux (notice I said "adapting") for use in the developing nations,
> > accessibility or for the unwashed masses believe that true
> > decentralized community-participation open source is a better
> > computing model, period.  If this is true (and maybe it's not), then
>
> Of course. But this is not the point. The point is that the unwashed
> masses want something else entirely than the elitists want, and they will
> inevitably enforce their predilection for bloat, featurism, lack of
> stability, terrible QoS, inflated hardware requirements, and overwhelming
> moronism (lowest common denominator) over further course of development.

Umm... and AOL is going to take over the kernel and the desktop projects
how? This disaster scenario assumes a level of control that AOL cannot
have, even if they buy out every distro in existence. Sure, they'll have
influence, and they can turn RH into whatever the hell they want, but
SuSE, Mdk, Debian, and the rest will continue on their own damn way,
uninfluenced by all the malignant shit that might come out of an
AOLinux.
Luis

P.S. you can be certain that Red Hat (whose kernel work is focusing
heavily on mainframes) and Linus (whose kernel work is frequently
centered on embedded stuff) actually care much, much less about the PC
than AOL does.