AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:28:26 +0100 (MET)

On 21 Jan 2002, Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote:

> I know Linus and the kernel crew do not, and I expect a lot of the
> current mainstream revel in the elitism of Linux.  My personal
> opinion, and that of many others I know who are involved in adapting
> Linux (notice I said "adapting") for use in the developing nations,
> accessibility or for the unwashed masses believe that true
> decentralized community-participation open source is a better
> computing model, period.  If this is true (and maybe it's not), then

Of course. But this is not the point. The point is that the unwashed
masses want something else entirely than the elitists want, and they will
inevitably enforce their predilection for bloat, featurism, lack of
stability, terrible QoS, inflated hardware requirements, and overwhelming
moronism (lowest common denominator) over further course of development.

Of course, AOLized Linux is still much, much better that Redmondware.

But, elitists can only silently steal themselves away in the night, by
forking, or starting from scratch elsewhere.

> our two best options for the OS are (currently) OS/X and Linux, of

OS/X is not an option. Iron control plus bad judgement plus terrible
permance _from the start_ do not forebode anything good. Cupertino *is*
Isengard.

> which the former is still a little stuck in the old "you are the
> consumer, we are the gods" marketing model.

Consumers *like* AOL and Redmondware. They shall have it, in abundance.