Cringely Gives KnowNow Some Unbelievable Free Press...

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:54:11 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, James Hong wrote:

> > "People have known about elliptical cryptography since the 1970s,"
> > explained Harley. But while RSA remained unbroken, there was no need
> > to pursue the elliptical curve method, which had its own problems.

I'm preaty sure the reason we're all using RSA _now_ is the same reason we
were using DH a couple years ago - the patents are all expired. ECC has a
bunch of patents still living, and the word among the crypto crowd I know is
still "avoid like the plague". We wont be touching ECC for a very long time.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com