AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 13:44:51 -0500

I completely agree with you Luis.  That's why they bought Netscape.  The
only reason, for most of the IE vs. Netscape 'battle', was that AOL used
IE as their browser from AOL 3.0 on.  They have always been wary of MS
and MSN; being assisted as they are by monopoly maintenance actions.
 Netscape is their hammer, should they need to use it.  I think it's
inevitable.

I think they are interested in RedHat because of near term use in SetTop
boxes along with a general long range defense of Xbox, et al.  Remember
that one of the main reasons AOL 'won' is that they were the first
'online' provider to embrace the Internet and they did it fairly
non-proprietarily.

AOL want's a monopoly on the consumer, not necessarily on various
technology pieces.  Of course if they have strong advantage (AIM), they
can't throw it away.

If AOL's smart, they'll help build an open technology market where many
people can play and attempt to take them on and minimize their
monopolistic tendancies in contrast to he-who-must-not-be-named.  We'll see.

sdw