AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

CDale cdale@techmonkeys.net
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 04:46:42 -0600 (CST)

How did I miss the beginning of this thread?  Forever, Red Hat has been
called the AOL of Linux.  I called it that when I was a Slacker, and had
it slung at me while wearing that Red Hat.  It's a sad, sad thing, but
living at that place (remember when working at a startup meant living
there?) and watching the suits and suit sluts come in and do the
corporation of the thing was an ugly affair.  If anyone enjoyed it, it was
Mark, who walked out, stiff and tense in his expensive suit, the one he
wore with a stiff back and a frown, and he didn't enjoy it till way after
that, I'm sure.  But of course there was Bob there, on the board, to make
sure that things would be OK.

AHEM.

Anyhow, Red Hat is not as small and as eccentric as Netscape (Mozilla) was
(is).  I agree that it would not be fatal to Linux to lose RH to AOL or
similar ilk, but it would be a serious mar in the Linux community, simply
because RH is the most widely used flavor of Linux.  It could certainly be
overcome, and of course, AOL would not necessarily proprietariize? RH, so
as long as it is free, it is free, even though what may seem to  be
proprietary-hungry companies buy and create distributions of it.  Look at
Corel.  (:  I don't see AOL buying RH as being something that would sink
it.  But, "dumbed-down" or not, RH, if it has the same developers, willl
be as sane and secure as it's always been (and yes, you are right.  It's
never been sane OR secure, but so far the developers have been quick at
releasing fixes), so many of the same companies, etc, will continue to use
it.  We Slackers, years ago, thought that RH would sink itself with all
it's readiness to make things proprietary,and, in a way it has,
but in most  areas, it is still open, free, and properly organized.  (:
Cindy Dale
Cab Pilot, and Roving Computer Technician