AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eirikur1@mediaone.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:43:34 -0500

Hmmm.  The points about Mozilla and Winamp are good ones.

So, Mozilla is the farm league for Netscape, from their perspective anyway.

How DO they make money from Winamp?  Not to mention that it was Nullsoft
(the Winamp gang) who unleashed Gnutella.

Winamp is a nice program.   Stable, too.  You really get to appreciate it,
if you, as I have, pour through the code of xmms, the 'Free as in libre'
clone.  And the Winamp guys have to do all that in Windows.  Xmms is going
to be a LONG time catching up to the scripted skins in the forthcoming
Winamp.   I think....

Apropos of nothing, I used a sniffer to look at what the Winamp 3 Alpha
does to fetch the list of streams for its 'streams tuner' feature.   What
comes back is pretty weird.  It has an XML header and then a stream of
what looks like binary.

You don't want the Winamp Alpha for Linux x86.   For the moments before it
crashes, it uses an awful lot of CPU just to render MP3.    Good proof of
concept though.   Obviously their porting tools are working very well save
for window positioning and the MP3 decode loop.   They say they aren't
putting any work into it until they have feature-freeze (and maybe ship)
on Windows.