[Geeks] AOL in Negotiations to Acquire Red Hat

Nick Seidenman nicks@argate.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:33:13 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5064-2002Jan18.html
>
> Now, this is interesting.

More like HORRIFYING!  Look at what they did to Netscape!

> [...]
> leader with more than 33 million Internet subscribers, with Red Hat's
> operating-system technology, sources said.
>
> The AOL online software, which consumers can install free from the Web
> or a compact disk, is now designed to run on Microsoft's Windows
> operating system. But the AOL software could be configured to override
> Windows and launch a version of Red Hat's Linux operating system,
> sources said.
>
> With such a move, AOL Time Warner could potentially make significant
> inroads into Microsoft's bread-and-butter business. An even greater
> challenge to Microsoft would be for AOL Time Warner to develop a rival
> operating system that works exclusively with the media giant's own
> Internet service provider, its Web browser or proprietary content.
>
> This is not the first time AOL Time Warner has explored alternatives to
> Windows. There were rumblings last year, during a flash point in the
> rivalry between the two tech titans, when AOL Time Warner was scouting
> for an acquisition or partnership with a firm that could provide a
> competing operating system.
>
> AOL Time Warner has already tried to counteract Microsoft on other
> fronts, including rebuilding its Netscape Web browser business to better
> compete against Microsoft's dominant Internet Explorer. Netscape
> technology has been incorporated into a Gateway Inc. tabletop Internet
> terminal and Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 2 video-game console. Linux also
> runs the Sony product.
>
> It was unclear yesterday how much money Red Hat could fetch. With a
> market capitalization of about $1.45 billion and about 600 employees
> worldwide, Red Hat reported $68.2 million in revenue in the nine months
> ended Nov. 30, down 10 percent over the same period a year earlier.
>
> The software company reported a profit of $1.8 million, or a penny per
> share, in the nine months, compared with a loss of $10 million, or six
> cents a share, in the year-ago period.
>
> Red Hat makes its money by packaging Linux for commercial and consumer
> use and by providing services and support to customers who use it. The
> operating system itself is freely available on the Internet -- thanks to
> an initiative by a programmer named Linus Torvalds who organized
> volunteers to write the original source code. Unlike Microsoft, which
> does not fully divulge its code, the Linux code is available to anyone
> who agrees to make modifications publicly available.
>
> Linux has yet to be adopted widely by consumers, largely because it
> requires some technical proficiency to install. But it is popular with
> the tech crowd and, according to industry estimates, runs about 30
> percent of all computers servers -- the powerful computers that function
> as hubs on a network.
>
> Red Hat has claimed such big clients as Amazon.com Inc. and
> International Business Machines Corp., providing software and support
> for IBM servers that use the Linux operating system.

  "Clinton smoked a joint 30 years ago and we heard about that for 8 years.
  W. was a stumbling drunk and virtually self- confessed cocaine snorter
  and yet that story evaporated as quickly as it materialized."
  -- P. M.  Carpenter