Hey kiddies

Kragen Sitaker kragen@pobox.com
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:09:42 -0500 (EST)

Carey Lening writes:
  I want to set up my old lappy to run debian (which is yet another
  issue altogether).  My first big problem is transfering the data.
  I'm curious what the cheapest fastest method of doing the transfer
  (a few 100mbs of good stuff) would be, as well as if anyone knows
  any USB methods outside of the laplink method?  I can't imagine
  laplink is the only game in town that makes USB connectors, but I
  can't seem to find any other folks who sell this kind of data
  sharing USB cable.

Well, "fastest" would probably be to put your disk inside a desktop
computer (preferably running Linux), mount it, and copy the data
across.  That would probably be "cheapest" too; all you'd need is the
use of a computer with IDE for an hour or two, a couple of adapters so
you could connect the compact IDE connector that is probably on your
laptop hard drives to your desktop IDE connector, and a screwdriver.

It's kind of a pain in the ass, though, and there's always the chance
you'll drop the drive or zap it with static while you're transferring
it.  The method I'd probably choose is Ethernet, because for me,
Ethernet is a necessity on all my computers anyway, so there's no
extra cost for me; 10Mbps is about 1.2 MiB/s, which means 200MiB would
take a few minutes.  100Mbps is ten times as fast.

USB is about as fast as 10Mbps Ethernet.