Speaking of the 51st state...

Jay Thomas jpthomas@mediaone.net
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 13:47:56 -0500

D'ya mean:

http://www.people.virginia.edu/~rjh9u/sqbrain.html - Squirrel Brains May
Be Unsafe

"FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- Squirrel brains are a lip-smacking memory for
Janet Norris Gates.
They were the choicest morsels of the game her father once hunted in
Tennessee.

``In our family, we saw it as a prized piece of meat, and if he shared
it with you, you were pretty
happy. Not that he was stingy,'' said Mrs. Gates, an oral historian in
Frankfort, ``but there's just
not much of a squirrel brain.'' "

Yeah, I remember reading alot about this when the UK was getting hit
with Mad Cow. Apparently a bunch of folks in Kentucky, who consider it a
delicacy, were developing something similar to Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease
from the squirrel brains they were eating. Apparently in that part of
the world, it is considered rude not to welcome new neighbors with a
steaming dish of em :)