Technical help needed: IIS Guru?

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:52:17 -0500

Josh wrote:

>Thats really odd.  I've never seen that before.
>Its sort of funny, but many of my unix savvy friends end up
>in situations like that.  I guess its because they try to
>outsmart the machine, whereas typical windoze users
>change very little.  Then again, maybe it just knew that you
>dont like it.  :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try all of that.  First I'll have to
upload an image of the Win2KServer CDROM.

>If you have the terminal server installed in remote admin mode, I'd be happy
>to help
>if you are stuck.   I can log in with terminal server and we can share the
>same display
>while we work through it together..

Ick!  I doubt that is secure, not to mention that I wouldn't think of
putting a MS server actually on the Internet.  It's firewalled inside a
Linux server.  It's 500 miles away and I try to avoid bugging my buddies
at the ISP.

I get to it via ssh to the box and then via a private network and then
use TightVNC.  Works great.

I'm running Win2kServer inside VMWare 3.0 inside RedHat 7.2 on a nice
Dell 2450   dual PIII 866Mhz w/ 2GB ECC ram and 5 18GB 10K rpm SCSI RAID
5.  I also have an external Firewire dual drive enclosure with dual
160GB drives, however A) the embedded IDE only sees 127GB each and B)
firewire hard drives hang the default RedHat 7.2 kernel...  I bought the
Dell server at the LifeMinders .com auction late last year!

The Windows server is running on an internal network.  I'll use a
reverse proxy to allow web access to IIS.  I know that VMWare isn't
causing the problem; it never seems to be the issue.

If trying all the above doesn't work, I may take you up on the offer.
 Time to start uploading the CD...

sdw