Gopher's 10th birthday...

Rohit Khare Rohit@KnowNow.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 13:00:58 -0800

For the record (FoRK archive, of course)...

>Subject: geeks-digest V1 #641
>
>Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:56:02 -0500 (EST)
>From: Scott Venier <scottven@umich.edu>
>Subject: GeeK: Furry Terrors you thought you'd never see again.
>
>[thanks to Andy for the URL]
>
>  >From gopher://gopher.quux.org/h/3.0.0.html:

Gopher Turns 10 / Gopher 3.0 (Furry Terror) Released
January 8, 2002

The Internet Gopher Server and Curses Client is 10 years old!* Since
its announcement in late 1991, Gopher quickly sprang up to be one of
the most innovative technologies of its time. Gopher today still
provides features not found on Web servers -- namely, its idea that
the entire planet is just one big filesystem. Modern browsers such as
Konqueror and Mozilla show it to us that way, even with drag-and-drop
integration with the desktop.

Today we release the Internet Gopher Server and Client version 3.0.

After having been totally unmodified for five years, the Internet
Gopher has kicked back to life. The University of Minnesota placed
the code under the GNU General Public License and an interested group
of hackers set to work on it. A year later, we have this release.

About Gopher
To learn about Gopher, please visit The Gopher Project [gopher/web],
A Brief Introduction to Gopherspace [gopher/web], or The Gopher
Manifesto[gopher/web].

Obtaining Gopher/Gopherd 3.0
Debian sid users may run "apt-get install gopher gopherd" beginning
on approximately January 11.

The source distribution may be downloaded from:

*	gopher://gopher.quux.org/1/devel/gopher
*	Quux.Org's Web-To-Gopher Interface to the Above
*	http://www.quux.org/give-me-gopher/ for people that want a
more conventional HTTP presentation.

Release Notes

*	You are encouraged to use ./configure --disable-auth to build.
*	BSD users should use "gmake" to build.

Changes since UMN Gopher release 2.3.1
In Brief:

*	Many security and buffer overrun fixes
*	New security features in gopherd
*	Improved handling of MIME types
*	Modified to work on modern operating systems. Verified to
work in Linux for multiple platforms and NetBSD/i386. Should also
work for HURD.
*	Many other modifications, see below.
A more detailed listing is below -- but it is still abbreviated. The
most current is available from CVS.

...[much skipped]...

  -- John Goerzen   Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:57:26 -0500

gopher (2.3.1-1) unstable; urgency=low

   * Initial re-release.  Package had been yanked after 1995 due to licensing.
   * UMN has just GPL'd gopher.
   * This package contains the security fix from bugtraq.
   * I have patched it to chroot() and setuid() earlier for better
     security.
     SIDE EFFECT: logging will not work if chroot() is used.
   * The extension chopping code was buggy, so I have removed it.
   * Made many fixes to eliminate compiler warnings and errors.
   * Removed redefinitions of sys_errlist
   * Included more header files to bring in relevant prototypes
   * Modified to use Debian paths
   * Modified configure.in to look for -lcrypt
   * Modified Makefile.config.in to use -Wall
   * Removed -DSETPROCTITLE from configure.in to make start-stop-daemon
     work better.
   * Added logrotate
   * Wrote Debian support from scratch.
   * AUTH.h includes crypt.h
   * gopherd/Makefile.in uses separate conffile dir (Debian path)
   * STRstring.h had a paren problem; gcc on alpha brought it out.  Fixed.
   * String.h was missing some header files.
   * Other fixes.

  -- John Goerzen   Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:16:07 -0500

* The exact date of version 1.0 of UMN gopher's release is not
logged, but this is about the right time.

$Id: 3.0.0.html,v 1.4 2002/01/08 22:14:44 jgoerzen Exp $ .