HEALTH: Diagnostic imaging details urgently desired (fwd)

Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:15:50 +0100 (MET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:45:00 -0800
From: Michael M. Butler <butler@comp-lib.org>
To: "extropians@extropy.org" <extropians@extropy.org>
Cc: cryobay@dandelion.com
Subject: HEALTH: Diagnostic imaging details urgently desired

I recall a recent post from someone who had found $400 MRI scans in California. Clearly these are less invasive than CT.
But I gather that more modern high-speed scanning CT (e-beam with rotating target mirror, for one) does higher res
imaging, with less total dose than older CT, and that operators of older CT machines are cranking their doses *up* in
order to get somewhat better resolution (because of faster imaging==>less motion artifact) to try to compete with the
"snapshot" scanning units.

I'm particularly interested in detailed CNS, cardio, and "vulnerable plaque" work.

Does anyone know of a really good survey of the technologies, their weak and strong spots, and costs?
Is there a good and relatively unbiased source of information on "scans" that are now available on a cash and carry
basis? Are more exotic (pion, positron, ???) scans available a la carte?

I guess I'm looking for a Consumer Reports kind of matrix, with columns like (hypothetically):

TECH   Resolution  Detects         Misses         Rad dose: low typical high     data format      $
/MFR
----   ----------  -------         ------         --------------------------     -----------     ---
www    2 mm^2      GI polyps,      everything     Siemens/session   3-12       SVHS videotape   $300
(P**               diverticuli,    else
m 43)              tumors, ulcers

xxx    0.2 mm^3    demyelination    many tumors   Siemens/session    10       fluoro polaroids $1000
                   arterial plaque  aneurysms                                                 to $1400

yyy    0.5 mm^3    arterial plaque                N/A (nonionizing)           JPEGs on CD-ROMs  $390
                  most tumors > 2 mm                                        (10:1 lossy compression)

zzz    0.1-3 mm^3  bone abnormalities             Siemens/picture    5        film radiographs  $120
                                                                                               per pic
...etc.

Thanks for any assistance,

Mike

--

butler a t comp - lib . o r g    Wm. Burroughs said it best: "After a shooting spree,
I am not here to have an argument.        they always want to take the guns away