Technical help needed: IIS Guru?

Josh josh@bluescreen.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:05:17 -0800

Thats really odd.  I've never seen that before.
Its sort of funny, but many of my unix savvy friends end up
in situations like that.  I guess its because they try to
outsmart the machine, whereas typical windoze users
change very little.  Then again, maybe it just knew that you
dont like it.  :)

Did you notice if the service was able to start before you
 added your web site ?
Did you delete the default site or admin site ?

I'd suggest trying the following
1) move your content, if any, and delete the website from the MMC (admin
console)
 does it start ?
2) uninstall and reinstall IIS
 uninstall
  go into add/remove software
 select "windows components"
 uncheck IIS.
 let it do its thing, and reboot the system. (no IIS at this point)
reinstall
 add/remove/ windows components / check IIS

does it start ?
 if so, you should probably re-run SP2 since it copied files from the CD
again.

If it still doesnt work at this point, theres probably some crap lying
around in the registry.

If you have the terminal server installed in remote admin mode, I'd be happy
to help
if you are stuck.   I can log in with terminal server and we can share the
same display
while we work through it together..