MIME-RPC (was Re: REST)

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 22:49:49 -0600

"S. Alexander Jacobson" wrote:

> I am not sure what REST uses because there seems
> to be no formal definition of what exactly REST
> is!

Give it a rest (yuk yuk!)  The various informal and formal definitions of REST
can be found at [1-8] among other places.  (Async?  In at least one dimension,
[7].)  How and why and when and where to apply certain design considerations
is up to the individual application designer, modulo clearly identified
constraints.  Is there a paucity of literature about REST per se?  Yes, there
is --- [1],[2], the REST Wiki, and certain mailing list discussions are about
the only things available that identify REST by name, but that certainly
doesn't constrain the extent of REST design discussion *in fact.*  (John
Udell, for instance, has been talking REST for ages, before the term was even
coined.)  Is there a paucity of literature about REST as such?  Not at all!
REST is nothing new;  it's merely a recognition of best practices and
motivations for best practices in a Web culture / technology that's a
decade-ish old...

A very succinct way to put it:  RTFM.

;-)

jb

[1]  http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~cs650/assignments/papers/p407-fielding.pdf
[2]  http://www.ebuilt.com/fielding/pubs/dissertation/top.htm
[3]  http://www.w3.org/Addressing/#9808uri
[4]  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.txt
[5]  ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2617.txt
[6]  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/ietf-http-ext/
[7]  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/MUX/
[8]  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/Fragment/draft-bos-http-redirect-00.txt