Aw Shite!

Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:51:38 -0500

I was stranded in small town Ohio (Defiance, Ohio) in a computer store
in 82-84.  We sold 8-bit atari computers, CP/M 80, NEC CP/M 80/BASIC,
Kaypro, Columbia (the first IBM PC clone I think), TI-99a, and the Epson
office PC (all OS and apps written in Forth).

I learned a lot, but the only guy who ever wandered in was the
electrical engineer who wandered in from Cleveland because of the
crosstitch shop next door his wife wanted to visit.  That's how I made
it from the outback of Ohio at $50/wk. to controls programming and Unix
at GE Lighting's Labs.

When I joined the owner in the computer store, it was a record shop with
1 computer.  When I left, we were doing 1Million in sales.  In a town of
19k.  And I had completed several contract programming jobs.

I should have moved to the west coast as soon as I could.  Ah well.

sdw