Who's watching the .gov ?

Elias Sinderson elias@cse.ucsc.edu
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:26:49 -0800

Hi again,

    So, I ran across this site called "The Center for Public Integrity"
at http://www.publicintegrity.org/ - very exciting work, so I thought
I'd FoRK it. Among other things, the site maintains a nation-wide
database of financial disclusure information that legislators and the
like are required to provide. I find it very interesting to consider the
political ramifications of this sort of effort.

    Whereas this information used to be publicly available, it was
buried in some archive that most people wouldn't bother looking at...
Now, on the other hand, it's being piped into your home for your
convenience. (Not that the average american wouldn't rather be surfing
the 'net for free beer/sex/sports scores, but at least a few people will
make use of it...) This is exactly the sort of thing I love the 'net
for...

    Wish I had more time to comment, but I'm off to class. Enjoy!

            Yours,
                          Elias