MIME-RPC (was Re: REST)

S. Alexander Jacobson alex@shop.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:19:23 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Jeff Bone wrote:

> Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> > This may help you to understand why Jeff
> > Bone says that REST doesn't have to be standardized. Rather, to use REST
> > with XML we will have to standardized hundreds of XML vocabularies. Go
> > forth and standardize!
>
> Yup!

Yup. I agree as well.  See RFC 2048!
http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/MIME/2048/rfc2048.html

> > (actually some REST advocates have expressed a dislike of XML but I
> > really don't know what else you could use to do the vocabulary
> > standardization part of REST...)
>
> I actually like XML a lot (within reason) and believe that the bulk of all
> RESTful applications will be those in which the representational state
> that's transferred is usually an XML representation.  Like everything else,
> though:  too much of anything, even a good thing, is still too much.

I agree that many types will be sent as XML.  I
just don't see why the transport system for them
should be, and I see lots of reasons why XML is
actually a bad system for transport.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                   i2x Media
1-212-787-1914 voice                    1-603-288-1280 fax