MIME-RPC (was Re: REST)

S. Alexander Jacobson alex@shop.com
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:46:23 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Jeff Bone wrote:
> the goodness of the Web.  On the whole, REST-as-philosophy is about taking an
> aggressive attitude towards understanding and utilizing what the Web already
> provides.

I am in complete agreement about this.  The whole
point of MIME-RPC is to use the existing
mechanisms that allow web browsers to to
understand what is sent from web servers and that
allow mail clients to open up attachments with the
correct application.

There is some other stuff to specify exactly what
it means to use urlencoded, but that is largely
for compatibility.

> You should ping Mark Baker about this.  He spent over a year trying to beat
> this into my thick skull, and *finally* it clickfed.  :-)  (That or the
> trauma to the brain started to take effect. ;-)  Check out the REST Wiki [1]
> --- it's a good collection of resources and musing about REST.  The case
> studies of how to convert various things like the Blogger XML-RPC API to a
> pure REST style are particularly helpful, IMHO  (...the author said. ;-)

I read some of the REST wiki and am seeing a lot
of unactionable philosophy.   MIME-RPC seems to be
consistent with the philosophy expressed there and
to be actionable.

If you could point out inconsistencies that might
be helpful.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                   i2x Media
1-212-787-1914 voice                    1-603-288-1280 fax