Software the way of the textile industry?

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:26:35 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Bill Kearney wrote:

> Well, this is perhaps a simplistic response but one reason places like China
> and Saudi Arabia aren't going to become powerhouses in software development
> is a cultural issue.  Not being any sort of expert in this matter, it's my
> opinion that without a greater amount of cultural support for personal
> freedeom of expression you're not going to see them expand all that greatly
> in this area.  Say what you will about the drudgery associated with a a lot
> of programming, it still seems like it would require an innate sense of
> personal expression.  Although I'm sure we can all find examples otherwise.

Oh now that's bull. Taking what the customer needs and writing a spec, and
then juggling the customer while they expect you to break the laws of
physics, and getting your coders to stop playing quake without resorting to
violence requires expression and creativity. You need one, maybe two skilled
people to do this per customer _type_, and some overseers.

Coding/sysadmin/helpdesk and the other entry level jobs are no more complex
or creative then assembly line work. A coder is just as replaceable too.
China's tolerance of sweatshop-type industries, and culture of personal
honor is perfect for a massive coding industry that could quickly turn
into a low-price/high-quality/insane-quantity situation.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com