Too modest to puff his own horn, Thomas Stewart takes on (the failures of) knowledge management.

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:00:17 -0500

Definitely in favor of this approach, although full-text is a nice alternative to grep -- when you get over a gig of stored email, inverted indexes are definitely a necessary optimization.

Right now, I use Outlook's (cruddy) equivalent of grep.  Every so often, I consider buying an indexing plug-in from 80-20 software.

The only problem with this approach is that many people can't write good queries.  That's one of the flaws with Lifestreams/Mirrorworlds/Scopeware; it takes a flat filing approach to storing documents, and relies on full-text search to filter the documents down for specific "streams" of interest.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Eirikur Hallgrimsson [mailto:eirikur1@mediaone.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 1:08 AM
To: Meltsner, Kenneth; jbone@clickfeed.com
Cc: fork@xent.com
Subject: Re: Too modest to puff his own horn, Thomas Stewart takes on
(the failures of) knowledge management.

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 05:57 pm, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:
> If you have a chaotic, poorly organized folder full of useful and
> useless information from a mailing list, at least you have the
> information somewhere in that folder.

Flat files.  Query languages.   People who know how to structure queries.
I'll say it: "grep."

Building structures to solve a problem that you don't understand is worse
than living with the problem.

I wonder what happened to the guy from U of Texas who was big into (aka
thesis work) flat file indexing.  I think he was even working on
concept-indexing.   All I remember is a pretty interesting proof of
concept that was binary-only of course for ancient Macintoshim.

Eirikur