Speaking of the 51st state...

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 11:14:45 -0400

On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 12:59:01PM +0000, Russell Turpin wrote:
> Owen Byrne <owen@permafrost.net>
> >Wondering if I'll get a chance to vote Bush out in 2004 (or frankly, if
> >anyone will).
>
> I've heard that Newfies get a bit odd after winter
> sets in. But don't worry: the US has held presidential
> elections every four years since ratification, in
> wars, depressions, scandals, and crises. Of course,
> you won't get to vote against Bush, unless (a) Canada
> decides to join the union, or (b) Bush runs for
> Canadian office. I find (a) the much more promising
> prospect, since I've always enjoyed Canada. I suspect,
> though, that most of your fellow citizens are too
> stubborn to want this, so I more anticipate Castro's
> death and Cuba becoming the 51st state. (OK, so down
> here in Texas we get a bit weird in the spring time.)

Newfie? That's a little further north and east.

"I suspect, though, that most of your fellow citizens are too stubborn
to want this."

Canadians didn't want NAFTA - we got it. Didn't want a Canadian DMCA - got it.
Didn't want workfare - got it. Didn't want education vouchers - they're working on
it. Didn't want privatized medicine - its already started.
Don't want monetary union with the US - we're getting it.
We wanted generic drugs - sorry! We don't want a North American Energy Strategy,
nor a North American Water Policy but guess what? California needs both energy and
water, so the policy is being formulated in Washington (oops) - Ottawa.

I think you need to relieve yourself of the misapprehension that democracy
actually exists in North America (either north or south of the border).. Bob Herbert
in the NYT recently talked about the "bribery and influence peddling that passes for
government these days."

We're already a colony, all I'm asking for is representation. As I said elsewhere, its
unlikely King George VII will grant us that representation. Maybe I can organize some
people to go down to the harbour looking for some Coca-Cola products to toss overboard.

I was being a little provocative suggesting no US elections in 2004, lets just that late
at night the evil that George Bush represents in my mind becomes magnified, especially
when I hear that American Gestapo will be setting up just down the street from me.

Owen