Software the way of the textile industry?

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:52:42 -0400

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 08:54:40PM -0800, Adam L. Beberg wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Owen Byrne wrote:

> > > No question.  The question, really, is why it's not happening even faster.
> >
> > Because decision makers are willing to pay a premium for "face time", in
> > order to enhance their feelings of self-control and inflate their own
> > importance?
>
> Probably because managing remote people is something noone teaches you how
> to do and doing it well involves alot more work, not to mention the cultural
> issues, then managing local people. But noone really 'gets' that becasue so
> few even try... And most geeks can't even work well with the person in the
> next cube.
>
> > At least that was the conclusion I came to concerning why telecommuting
> > didn't catch on, which seems similar.
>
> No, that failed because 95% of people didn't do any work from home. Which if
> you think about it is only _half_ as productive as having 90% who dont do
> anything AT work. This was a boom thing just like bringing your dog to work
> and the foozball table. Next they will figure out people spend all their
> time online at work if they can get online from work...
>
> - Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
>   http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
>   beberg@mithral.com
>

>From my personal experience, and from some research I have done in the past, I don't
think this is true. People who are properly motivated, and equipped get more work done
at home.
The perception by managers is that they don't. Its like your last paragraph - I'll
quibble with the numbers, but bosses forget the whole second half of the equation.

Owen