MIME-RPC (was Re: REST)

S. Alexander Jacobson alex@shop.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 01:10:21 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

This sounds interesting, but there is no spec.
I think the MIME-RPC protocol, located at
http://mime-rpc.com, addresses the same issues
and is both simple and well defined.  MIME-RPC is
a protocol for messaging between applications
using MIME, the same wire format used in both
email and the web.  The underlying messages can
be XML, JPEG, or whatever you like.  The
interesting point here is that one can use
MIME-RPC clients to request content from
existing CGI/Servlet applications that were not
built with MIME-RPC in mind, and one can use
existing web browsers and mail clients to make
requests to MIME-RPC servers.  Both function call
and  asynchronous message semantics are
supported.

-Alex-

PS When I proposed MIME-RPC, I heard some
references to REST but did not get a URL.  Now
that I have one, I think I have a whole new level
of ammunition to argue for it.  Thank you Paul!

PPS I don't know if Gary Condit has endorsed
MIME-RPC :-)