Speaking of the 51st state...

Mark Tearle mtearle@tearle.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:30:42 +0800 (WST)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, John Evdemon wrote:

> Subject: RE: Speaking of the 51st state...
>
> On Tuesday, January 15, 2002 11:35 PM, Owen Byrne wrote:
> >
> > Hearing on the news here that US Customs Officers are going
> > to set up shop right here in the port of Halifax, Nova
> > Scotia. Already a concern is whether they will be carrying
> > guns (when Canadian Customs doesn't).
>
> Why would this be a problem?

Umm, Canada still likes to believe it's a sovereign state of it's own,
not an annex of the United States of America.  Try calling a Canadian
an American and see the look you get.

> Perhaps a better question is why aren't Canadian Customs
> officers armed?  How are they expected to defend themselves?

Because in civilised countries (like those that are part of the
Commonwealth eg Australia and Canada) that is not Customs role.

 From <http://www.customs.gov.au/corp/Charter/index/charter.htm>:

 > Customs has three principal roles:

 > * to facilitate trade and the movement of people across the Australian
 >   border while protecting the community and maintaining appropriate
 >   compliance with Australian law;
 > * to efficiently collect Customs revenue;and
 > * to administer specific industry schemes and trade measures.

We have other groups that look after security at our airports, ports,
etc.

Yours
Mark
--
Mark Tearle - mark@tearle.com
"This is your captain speaking,                           -- Blaznee,