Too modest to puff his own horn, Thomas Stewart takes on (the failures of) knowledge management.

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eirikur1@mediaone.net
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 02:07:54 -0500

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 05:57 pm, Meltsner, Kenneth wrote:
> If you have a chaotic, poorly organized folder full of useful and
> useless information from a mailing list, at least you have the
> information somewhere in that folder.

Flat files.  Query languages.   People who know how to structure queries.
I'll say it: "grep."

Building structures to solve a problem that you don't understand is worse
than living with the problem.

I wonder what happened to the guy from U of Texas who was big into (aka
thesis work) flat file indexing.  I think he was even working on
concept-indexing.   All I remember is a pretty interesting proof of
concept that was binary-only of course for ancient Macintoshim.

Eirikur