Software the way of the textile industry?

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:54:40 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Owen Byrne wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 07:56:28PM -0600, Jeff Bone wrote:
> >

> > Owen Byrne wrote:
> >
> > > So I would say that the phenomenon is happening, just not overnight.
> >
> > No question.  The question, really, is why it's not happening even faster.
>
> Because decision makers are willing to pay a premium for "face time", in
> order to enhance their feelings of self-control and inflate their own
> importance?

Probably because managing remote people is something noone teaches you how
to do and doing it well involves alot more work, not to mention the cultural
issues, then managing local people. But noone really 'gets' that becasue so
few even try... And most geeks can't even work well with the person in the
next cube.

> At least that was the conclusion I came to concerning why telecommuting
> didn't catch on, which seems similar.

No, that failed because 95% of people didn't do any work from home. Which if
you think about it is only _half_ as productive as having 90% who dont do
anything AT work. This was a boom thing just like bringing your dog to work
and the foozball table. Next they will figure out people spend all their
time online at work if they can get online from work...

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com