Software the way of the textile industry?

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:21:54 -0500

We've (various corporations) tried that.  It failed the first time because it turned out that our specs weren't really good enough for the folks writing the code.

Although full outsourcing has failed, for the most part, there are a number of split development groups.  The US branch has architects that are experienced in creating requirements that can be implemented by the off-shore groups, there's time/money for moving people around to promote team work across the ocean, etc.  It becomes a special skill: works well with nonUS developers could be a real resume enhancer in the future.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam L. Beberg [mailto:beberg@mithral.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 7:11 PM
To: fork@xent.com
Subject: Software the way of the textile industry?

There seems to be a huge similarity between the software industry today and
the textile industry back when this country still had one.

Is there any reason to believe that the whole industry isn't gonna move to
the asian continent where labor is cheaper and developers are just as easy
to come by?

Back in the day the textile workers would have said the same things I'm
sure. We're better educated, we make better products, we're more creative,
we're closer to the customer, we speak English. Of course that was all crap
then too.

Even when I design things, all the high level design is done and laid out so
that people who can just barely sew/code would do a great job on the
implementation, and all of them are in far flung remote locations. And
designing while high-skill, is also low-time. I think most companies have
figured this out. That you need a handful of guru designers on one place on
a project, and the rest are just told what to do and can be anywhere. So put
them in places where you can pay them close to nothing ...

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com