Software the way of the textile industry?

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 17:11:13 -0800 (PST)

There seems to be a huge similarity between the software industry today and
the textile industry back when this country still had one.

Is there any reason to believe that the whole industry isn't gonna move to
the asian continent where labor is cheaper and developers are just as easy
to come by?

Back in the day the textile workers would have said the same things I'm
sure. We're better educated, we make better products, we're more creative,
we're closer to the customer, we speak English. Of course that was all crap
then too.

Even when I design things, all the high level design is done and laid out so
that people who can just barely sew/code would do a great job on the
implementation, and all of them are in far flung remote locations. And
designing while high-skill, is also low-time. I think most companies have
figured this out. That you need a handful of guru designers on one place on
a project, and the rest are just told what to do and can be anywhere. So put
them in places where you can pay them close to nothing ...

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com