FW: END-OF-LIFE NOTICE

Steve Bush stevebu@bushchang.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 17:42:56 -0800

------_=_NextPart_001_01C19D65.F4F2D3AB

Interesting messaging on why BlackICE Defender will no longer be
supported.  Microsoft is terminating support for Windows 95.

-----Original Message-----
From: Okada, Lainie (ISS San Mateo) [mailto:lokada@iss.net]=20
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2002 4:12 PM
To: Steve Bush
Subject: END-OF-LIFE NOTICE

END-OF-LIFE NOTICE
BlackICE Defender support on Windows 95 to be discontinued

Internet Security Systems (ISS) is discontinuing BlackICE Defender
support
on Windows 95. BlackICE Defender will continue to be supported on other
Microsoft operating systems as defined in the product system
requirements.
All quarters in this notice are calendar year.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
BlackICE Defender version 2.9 is the last version that will be supported
on
Windows 95. Internet Security Systems Customer Support will continue to
provide technical assistance and make reasonable efforts to provide
workarounds for BlackICE Defender version 2.9 problems on the Windows 95
platform for one year following the Q3, 2001 release, i.e.,
approximately
through Q3, 2002. However, we will not provide programmatic corrections
errors for this platform.

WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?
Microsoft has announced cessation of support for Windows 95. The
following
link explains Microsoft's OS lifecycle in detail and shows that Windows
95
entered the "non supported phase" (red) as of November 2001. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.asp for more details.
Once an operating system is no longer supported by Microsoft it becomes
difficult to address problems with products running on that OS. Fully
supporting BlackICE Defender and its customers is extremely important to
ISS
so we are unable to continue developing our
products for an unsupported operating system.

WHAT SUGGESTIONS DOES ISS HAVE TO EASE THIS MIGRATION FOR CUSTOMERS?
Our first step to assist our customers is this announcement. The current
BlackICE Defender product is still fully supported on Windows 95, but
those
customers running this operating system should begin investigating OS
upgrade options with Microsoft. Our intention with this early notice is
allow our customers adequate time to plan and implement migration of
their
computers to supported operating environments with minimal impact. =20

The Microsoft web site has a wealth of information to help you decide
which
Windows operating system upgrade is right for you. For information on
the
entire Windows operating system family go to the following link.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.asp

For information on upgrading to Microsoft's newest operating system,
Windows
XP, go to the following link.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/default.asp

If you have any questions or concerns you may contact technical support
at=20
support-L1@networkice.com

[...]

through Q3, 2002. However, we will not provide programmatic = corrections to

[...]

upgrade options with Microsoft. Our intention with this early = notice is to