Terrorism

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:23:22 -0400

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 10:45:08AM -0700, Marty Halvorson wrote:
> At 11:44 10-01-02, Owen Byrne wrote:
> >So the difference is a declaration of war? Like the US declaration of war on
> >Afghanistan?
>
> No.  As Alex points out, terrorists are acting to create fear and cause the
> government of those people to act to appease the terrorists.
>
> >Obviously that's the solution - never declare war - then the terrorists can
> >never be labelled "freedom fighters."

Well Osama Bin Laden has a recognized foe - the US. In his mind the governments
of the Middle East are puppet governments installed by the US. The US attacked
the Middle East in 1991 and has occupied it ever since.

I was trying to detect a difference beyond something as subjective as "recognized
foe."

Owen