Terrorism

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:17:33 -0400

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 12:27:37PM -0500, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
> The freedom fighter acts to gain the support of
> the people (deligitimate the regime).  The
> terrorists acts to make the people fear future
> actions and cause their government to do things
> that appease the terrorists (prevent future
> terrorism).
>
> As I said before, terrorism only makes sense
> against democracies.
>

> Marty's point about foreign soil is that
> terrorists view the people they bomb as not "their
> people."  Notably, the IRA bombs in London.  The
> American Revolutionaries didn't.

There were bombs and assasinations in Dublin and Belfast (and
Omagh and Derry) too.
Just didn't get the press in the UK.
And someone pointed out that the American Revolutionaries made raids
into Canada.

But I'm beginning to understand your argument - "terrorism only makes sense
against democracies" - because if its directed against a non-democracy it
is by definition, "freedom fighting."

Owen