established business vs. innovation

Marty Halvorson martyh@nmcourts.com
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:28:30 -0700

Gary Lawrence Murphy wrote, "Maybe that's what I meant by "corporate
culture" -- 3M is notorious as
a company culture which _allows_ mistakes to happen. I recall a JPL or NASA
.sig from the 80's "Pure research means you don't know what the hell you're
doing."

Sometimes the accidents weren't.  For example, at DEC, it was the case that
if someone wanted to investigate something completely unrelated to his or
her current project they could ask for 10 percent time and funding.  This
meant that for 10 % of their working hours they could pursue whatever
personal project they wanted.  There was one restriction, the personal
project had to involve technology incidental to DEC's products.  One of
mine was involvement in the first U.S. effort to create a standard for high
definition TV.

Peace,

Marty Halvorson
New Mexico Supreme Court