Mac/Apple

Thu, 10 Jan 2002 07:04:08 -0800

Piccie of Dr. Ernie reading Linux Journal.  Yes
there is open OS software at Apple.

Greg

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=5715&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Anyway, the real interesting stuff happened afterwards,
                     downstairs on the trade show floor, in a massive private
                     booth Apple had set up just for The Media. I was eager to
                     see what was up with OS X, especially around Darwin, its
                     BSD-based open-source kernel. Was there a Penguin/Ox
                     synergy going on? If so, what was that about, and where was
                     it headed?

                                      On the walk to the booth I ran into
                                      Tony Fadell, a guy I've known for a
                                      few years but hadn't seen in awhile.
                                      (That's him on the right, below.) He
                                      was wearing an Apple badge. "What
                                      do you do for Apple?" I asked. "I
                                      designed the iPod", he replied.

                                      Then I ran into Ernest Prabhakar
                                      (left, with a copy of Linux Journal)
                                      who leads product marketing for
                                      Darwin. He was very eager to talk
                     about synergies, not just between two operating systems and
                     the various cultures involved, but between different
                     development interests and modalities. For example, he said
                     AppleScript Studio has the same relationship to GUI
                     development as shell to command line. "Think about
                     pipelining, but in three dimensions." He was way past me,
                     but I dug his enthusiasm.

                     Then he pointed me toward Brian Croll, who used to run
                     Eazel. I had interviewed Brian last spring, a few weeks
                     before that company went under. Before Eazel, Brian had
                     been with Sun for many years. Now he was running
                     engineering for the Darwin end of OS X. And he was
                     excited about it--especially about the level of open-source
                     activity that's going on with Darwin.