Terrorism and Retrospect

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
10 Jan 2002 01:05:20 -0500

    J> ...  But in this case, there should be a pretty low
    J> evidentiary requirement for anybody that took, say, a high
    J> school American history class

What is the saying? "History is written by the victors"?  Something
like that.

I remember what my history books said about Louis Riel, the founder of
the first truly democratic government in Canada and the liberator of
Manitoba (not to mention what he did for the rights of aboriginal and
metis people).  By all accounts, he was a brilliant strategist and a
revolutionary hero of high standards.

All they mentioned in our Ontario-authored texts was "Hanged as a
traitor for the murder of a British officer" -- conveniently failing
to mention he was arrested when he arrived in Ottawa to claim his
democratically elected seat in the Parliament.  Conveniently failing
to mention that the officer in question was duly tried by a jury of
peers and sentenced by the democratically elected Metis/settler
government.

Never trust victors to tell the truth. (don't trust the losers either,
but that's another thread) Apparently Ontario has rescinded their
condemnation of Riel, but only in the past three or four years, and I
haven't read those texts yet.  Thus, dear friends, history teaches
that it can take 130 years to decide the difference between a
terrorist and a hero of humanity.  By comparison, it took George Bush
less than a few hours.

Although they started with honourable acts of peaceful civil
disobedience (Ben, Tom, John and the guys, visionary humanist geniuses
one and all) the resulting self-appointed American revolutionary
'army' (George and the hoods) caught the blood lust and burned many
farms to the ground, killing all inhabitants, solely because the owner
professed (or was suspected of) allegience to the existing political
structure; they kept up the partisan killing spree right through to
the March of Tears and beyond.  The clear message to the Loyalists who
now populate much of New Brunswick and Southern Ontario was "Join the
revolution, or die horribly as an example to others" --- Isn't that
terrorism? Manufacturing consent through terror? (FWIW, the history of
Mao Tse Tung is not that different)

Loyalist museums are full of such histories; revolutionary era
American terrorism accounts for 100% of the why Quebec gets special
stature in Canadian Law (we promised cultural protections in exchange
for their essential help in anti-terrorism) and a lot of the why
Canada is still a little apprehensive of American foreign policy, and
of Alberta (settled largely by Americans following their herds
northward).  We even eat ice cream and chocolates named for an
anti-terrorist hero.

And we teach highschool students PC crap.  I thought everyone knew that.
That's why my kids love rap music so much.