A message from Carey Lening

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 20:56:05 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Owen Byrne wrote:

> > How come every other country has a government issue smart card enabling
> > thousands of super spiffy applications? Identity _IS_ the mother of all
> > killer enabling technologies afterall. Probably becasue other places
> > actually have a distinction between business and government. Oh that that
> > noone else is so hung up on sex being bad.
> >
> Canada doesn't have this government issue smart card.
> 1 country invalidates your argument as phrased. I don't remember seeing
> anything like that in Spain either. Although now you've got me
> looking in my wallet.

OK, canada being US-north doesn't really apply here, but smart cards are
prevelant in most of europe and asia. From talking to many people that have
them, they make life so much easier day to day that's it's totally sickening
that we dont have them here.

Next time you're behind some tech dinosaur at a store paying with a check,
waiting for 10 minutes while they find 16 forms of ID. Say a little prayer
for a national ID and be thankful you didn't bring a gun.

Your choice is that or to wait for Microsoft do it.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com