Terrorism Re: Corporate transparency

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:03:04 -0400

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:09:20PM -0500, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:
> You are abandoning the rhetoric of ramming through
> a conservative agenda to talk about judgments by
> politicians about the electorate's tolerance for
> military casualties.  These are very different
> topics and, I am not at all clear about why this
> concern is a bad thing nor how you think more talk
> from Bill Maher would have increased this
> tolerance (since that is what you appear to want).

I didn't abandon anything - you asked for specifics about
an article that talked about how avoidance of American casualties
is dictating war strategy.

> And I am asking: who got smacked down and what
> should have been stopped?  Your NCAC link includes
> stuff like this:
> http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=14957
>
> which appears to be about Berkeley firefighters
> not being allowed to fly American Flags from
> their trucks out of fear that they would then be
> vandalized by the large number antiwar protesters
> in the city.

That was the 17th link on the page - Below "The New McCarthyism", "Florida
Professor Placed on Leave After Fox News Appearance.", etc.

And if you go a little further down to the section "News and Commentary" you'll
see several reporters/editors/etc that were fired after September 11. Of course
there was a conservative commentator who recommending "invading countries, killing
their leaders and converting them to Christianity" in the list too.

Talk about selective vision.

Try this - search the page for "Gutting", "Guthrie", "Werbe", "Hypervine" and "Campbell Brown"

I especially like (in the miscellaneous section) the story of the 22 year old
not allowed to board a plane because of the novel he was reading.

Owen