A message from Carey Lening

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:51:34 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Carey Lening wrote:

> TIME.com: The National ID Card That Isn't, Yet
> http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,191857,00.html
>
> Comments: Oh geez.  I wonder how long this will stay a mere slashdot
> item and when the civil lib kids will finally wake up.  THis is a rather
> balanced article -- though its complacency with the whole thing bugs me
> just a tad.
>
> Its going to happen anyway.  Just gotta wait until its really bad before
> the sheeple wake up.

Yeap, and as much as those people bitch about how we all need PGP, digital
cash, and the like for privacy, they only do it when they are talking about
dodging taxes and making it safe to trade porn.

The fact is, 99% of people dont have anything to hide, and most of them
never think (at all) that they could have anything to hide anyway. So the
benefits FAR outway the nonexistant-to-any-noncriminal downside. And
anything "bad" you do will always take cash, the local drug dealer takes
cash, not credit cards.

The problem is that it really IS that way, when everyone has ID, it really
is only the criminals that have anything to worry about. Which brings us
back to dodging taxes of course. Noone cares about you but your friends,
really.

How come every other country has a government issue smart card enabling
thousands of super spiffy applications? Identity _IS_ the mother of all
killer enabling technologies afterall. Probably becasue other places
actually have a distinction between business and government. Oh that that
noone else is so hung up on sex being bad.

What we need is a badass "bill of privacy rights", that simply requires
logging of anyone who queries any information. Legitimate queries really
dont actually happen that often, credit agencies already do such logging.
Anyone doing bad things can worry about an NRA member showing up with a gun.
Problem solved.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/
  beberg@mithral.com