Terrorism Re: Corporate transparency

S. Alexander Jacobson alex@shop.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 21:29:08 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Owen Byrne wrote:
> I think that a lot of people now (William Safire for one) are saying
> that Bush used the terrorist attack as a cynical excuse for ramming
> through an extreme conservative agenda that had nothing to do with
> making America safe (well safe for billionaires).

Can we get some specificity in this discussion?
What exactly did this "lot of people" say?  Who
are they?  And do you agree with them? I don't
think this lot includes Safire. Safire thinks Bush
used the attacks to seize  dictatorial powers, but
that is not the same thing as "ramming through an
extreme conservative agenda."  And in any case,
the actual procedures developed by the group
charged with implementing Bush's executive order
appear to be non-controversial.  Somehow, I
don't think we have Bill Maher to thank for that
result.

It sounds much more like your "lot of people" are
unhappy with Bush's new found popularity.  For
example, Bush's recent "over my dead body" quote
was about taxes not terrorism.

> Even the military is saying the same thing now - there was an article
> recently in the NYT about how fear of American casualties was
> dictating strategy in the "war on terrorism."

Do you have a pointer?  Perhaps you are talking
about Clinton's triple failure to act against Bin
Laden or about Clinton's decision not to send
ground troops into the Balkans.

> The people who were saying that while it was happening -
> when there was potential to stop it - got smacked down.

Examples?  Specifics?

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                   i2x Media
1-212-787-1914 voice                    1-603-288-1280 fax