established business vs. innovation

Meltsner, Kenneth Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 18:16:54 -0500

CA's changed a bit.  We ship Tomcat with several products, and have at least one person serving as a committer on Cocoon.

Not as much OS activity as I'd like, though CA's innate frugality leads it to look at OS instead of re-inventing the wheel a surprisingly large amount of the time.

Ken

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuck Murcko [mailto:chuck@topsail.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 4:45 PM
To: fork@xent.com
Subject: Re: established business vs. innovation

Yeah, my GE exposure was pre-Welch, knowing folks from Knolls. Sorry
about that one, overly old bits.

My CA experience was rather different than yours. When CA bought
Platinum, I was told I would not be allowed to work on Apache and also
work for CA, but that I had 24 hours to decide what I wanted to do.

Took about 10 seconds (8 were the result of being stupified by what I
had just heard) to decide.

Chuck