Kodak and wireless

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:18:59 -0800

802.11x is going to win the wireless standard war. Already we're seeing
signs of lock-in. 3G will lose, since the platform isn't open.

When you send pictures over the network, you want them to end up on the Web.
I.e., your camera is remotely authoring a set of Web pages. WebDAV is a
widely supported set of extensions to HTTP for remote authoring of Web
pages. It works just fine for camera images. Hence, the killer camera is one
with integrated 802.11x wireless, and a DAV stack, the DAV-cam.

Take a picture, and it automatically gets sent to a DAV server, along with a
thumbnail, and an update of an image overview page.  From camera to the Web,
immediately.

Next, create an Internet picture frame. But, instead of the Ceiva
phone-home-every-night approach, put a DAV server on the frame. Keep the
frame always connected to the net. Have the DAV-cam save directly to the
picture frame.  Want lock-in? Make it so that your camera works best with
your frame (but still keep things open, so it'll work with other equipment,
maybe just not as well).

- Jim