next big thing.. back again

Mike Masnick mike@techdirt.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:24:48 -0800

At 11:28 AM 1/9/02 -0800, Rob Shavell wrote:
>anyone have input on the following? -
>
>convergence of dig cameras and mobiles and mobile data messaging.

It's already a pretty big deal in Japan already through J Phone:

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-8396773.html

At the Mobile Partnerships conference that SRInstitute put on last month a
lot of folks were talking about it, but opinions  were mixed.  Personally,
I don't see how it's that big of a deal, but maybe I'm not the target
market.  I use my phone and my camera in very different circumstances, and
it would be tough for me to think of any real advantage for having them in
same device.  My problem with most convergence devices are that they
combine features that I don't normally think about or use at the same time
- so it's tough to get my head around why I would want such a converged
device.

As a random aside (and pure self promotion), that SRInstitute conference on
Mobile Parnterships was really quite good, and we wrote up a 12 page report
about it that people seem to like.  If anyone wants to read it, it's freely
downloadable at http://www.techdirt.com/reports/   It mostly focuses on how
wireless companies are desparately trying (and failing) to partner with
various US carriers.  I don't think we got into the discussion of the J
Phone stuff at all, but people were talking about it.

 -Mike