Ten uses for the next big thing

Ka-Ping Yee ping@lfw.org
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:28:18 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:
> What's the application for this?  So, suddenly, you can throw a snapshot to
> someone's cellphone.   It *would* drive data connectivity, but why does
> anyone need it?   Why would I want someone to send me a picture.

What restaurant are we having dinner at again?  No, i don't remember the
cross street.  Look for the one with the big sign... here, i'll show you.

Roadside assistance, please.  Hi, yeah, my car broke down on the side of
the highway and i think there's something wrong with the engine...

Yes, i'd like ground shipping.  That'll get here in about a week, right?
Could you show me the product before i give you my credit card number?

I was just talking to Bill -- do you remember him from the conference last
May?  Let me send you his number and photo; i'm sure you'll recognize him.

Hi, honey.  I'm at the store but i'm not sure which kind of chair would
look better at the kitchen table.  What do you think?

What's up?  Oh, yeah, the party's just getting started.  You're on your
way?  Where are you?  Here, i'll draw you a map.

Hey, Alice.  Where are you on the exhibition floor?  I know, this event is
huge.  I'm watching this incredible demo.  You have to see this thing.

Your name is what?  How do you spell that again?  Was that a P or a T?
A what or a what?  I'm sorry, i can't hear you... could you repeat that?

Hello, emergency?  I have a friend who is seriously hurt.  Can you tell
me what to do?

(...and despite all of these wonderful possibilities, we can all be
certain that the number-one use for this technology will, of course,
initially be porn.)

-- ?!ng