established business vs. innovation

Gary Lawrence Murphy garym@canada.com
09 Jan 2002 15:06:07 -0500

    D> Bingo.  Much of my argument is based on the (observed) fact
    D> that dominant players are not innovators.

3M
Dupont
Lucent

Of course, all three are highly diversified and have corporate culture
that encourages innovation.  Maybe it's closer to your thesis to say
that one-trick-ponies rarely innovate for fear of obsolescing their
cash cow, but that's a factor of diversification, I don't think the
size of the business per se has much to do with it.  I mean, my
company is as small as is possible, yet we have never really been
totally guilty of innovation ;)

IMHO, post-it notes are pretty darn innovative.