Canada rocks

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 03:07:28 -0400

Up here we've got lobbyists from every medical company ever known to man
crawling all over Parliament Hill with "studies" about the ill effects of
government-funded health programs. The various right wing politicos who get
elected to various posts in Canada usually start gutting health right off the
bat (mostly because its the largest government expenditure).

`A few years ago I remember a USTR person talking about the DMCA and how Canada
needed the same kind of law. The quote I heard was "You don't have a law like
that? You will."

And guess what - the Canadian version is making its way through committees.

Canada really sucks if you believe in democracy. When we finally got something resembling
a Bill of Rights in 1982, it included this lovely clause:

"Parliament or the legislature of a province may expressly declare in an act
of Parliament or of the legislature, as the case may be, that the Act or a provision
thereof shall operate not withstanding a provision mentioned in section 2 or 7 to 15 of
this charter."

So instead of "inalienable rights" we have rights subject to an act of Parliament or the
legislature of a province.

Owen