Competition (was: Corporate transparency)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Wed, 09 Jan 2002 04:08:01 +0000

Owen Byrne:
>Because its not competition and its not capitalism. ..
>Stalinism, Totalitarianism, Fascism, whatever you want to call it.

Being a nominalist, I'm entirely pragmatic about choice
of labels. Since this is what has traditionally been
called capitalism, I'm going to stick with that term. I
find it just creates confusion to assign new meanings
contrary to common usage. If you think traditional
capitalism didn't exhibit the features you describe,
then where we differ is our understanding of 18th and
19th century Anglo-American history.

>Plus I'm sympathetic to the herbivores...

In the analogy, the herbivores are just different kinds
of firms. Business processes, interpeted in the broadest
sense, are the alleles. Entrepeneurs and managers are
snippets of chromosomes available for recombination, as
are all workers to the extent they carry relevant
knowledge from firm to firm. Consumer demand is sunlight.