Competition (was: Corporate transparency)

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 01:06:31 -0400

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 03:12:24AM +0000, Russell Turpin wrote:
> Owen Byrne writes:
> >The more appropriate analogy for the united states would be the lions and
> >hyenas signing a Joint Operating Agreement to start a herbivore farm on the
> >Sarangeti Plain and develop quotas for dividing up the wildebeest.
>
> And so lions and hyenas might have done, had they had
> the intelligence to do so. (a) I don't know why you
> think that somehow counters my comments. (b) My comments
> were not social darwinist. Yes, I think there is a form
> of darwinism that operates in the business environment
> of capitalism. The social darwinists, though, want to
> move from that to an attribution of virtue that parallels
> individual economic success. And I think that is absurd.
> If darwinism operates at the level of businesses,
> revealing knowledge that canNOT be obtained otherwise and
> beforehand, then there is a large element of pure luck
> that determines individual economic success. Most of the
> programmers who joined Microsoft in the mid-80s weren't
> genius businessmen, nor did Microsoft succeed because of
> their unique technical talents. Microsoft succeeded
> because of its ability to fill and expand niches, which
> niches early on became obvious because of that. Those
> programmers were lucky.

Because its not competition and its not capitalism. If dominant
companies can collude to divide up markets (for example) and governments
acquiesce, what you have is central planning without the planners
having to answer to the electorate. Stalinism, Totalitarianism, Fascism,
whatever you want to call it.

Plus I'm sympathetic to the herbivores...

Owen