Corporate transparency

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:19:03 -0800 (PST)

I've been reading this thread with some confusion.

If you had full transparency why would you even need to concept of a
corporation anyway? The main reason to have a corp is to hide things.

Hiding incoming from the tax man, shielding people from the liability of
dumping toxic waste, being able to say "the corp did it not me", and
generally being able to be evil in ways that would get a person thrown in
jail.

Now, I'm not saying corps arent critical, because most people probably
wouldn't take any kind of risk at all without this mechanism in place. It's
the grease that capitalism runs on. Which is why you only see sole
proprietorships and partnerships in safe and boring types of business.

Imagine how many consecutively-served death sentances a tobaco company exec
would be serving if they were operating as an individual, out peddling
addiction and slaying weak-willed people en mass like that. But as a corp,
they rake in profits instead.

C-corp, dont leave bed without it.

- Adam L. "Duncan" Beberg
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/