More author recommendations

Jeff Bone jbone@jump.net
Tue, 08 Jan 2002 00:09:28 -0600

This list is a bit dated, but at the same time timeless...  10-20 of
my top favorite books of all time (list from a few years back) ---
usually a good indication that I like the author in general.

Philosophy:  Who Needs It -- Ayn Rand
Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine -- Jay Williams
Walden -- Henry David Thoreau
A Separate Peace -- John Knowles
The Blind Watchmaker / The Selfish Gene -- Richard Dawkins
Lolita -- Vladimir Nabokov  (best first page in English! oh, the
prose! :-)
Letters From The Earth -- Mark Twain
Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass -- Lewis Carroll
All My Friends are Going To Be Strangers -- Larry McMurtry
Time Enough for Love -- Robert Heinlein
Between Night and Morn -- Kahlil Gibran
Serpent and Lily -- Nikos Kazantzakis
The Changeling - Zilpha Keatley Snyder
The Sandman -- Neil Gaiman (comic series)
Order Out of Chaos -- Ilya Prigogine
Engines of Creation / Nanosystems -- K. Eric Drexler
A Timeless Way of Building / A Pattern Language -- Chris Alexander
The Razor's Edge -- Somerset Maugham
Ender's Game -- Orson Scott Card

That's just *a* list, not *the* list...  *the* list changes daily.
:-)

Cheers,

jb