Thoughts about iWalk

JTS - MCDLXXXVI jts7@duke.edu
Mon, 7 Jan 2002 17:56:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Lucas Gonze wrote:
> Where it doesn't work is that the Palm monitor is then at arms length,
> where it's too small and badly lit to read.  The Palm has more than
> enough power for writing, all it needs is a better monitor.  ...more than
> that, it needs an _optional_ better monitor that fits in a pocket, just
> like the foldup keyboard.

Then you have a folding laptop.  Why not do both?  Give me a keyboard and
monitor that collapse.  Make the screen out of digital ink and the
keyboard is just a touch sense presspad, both of which are stretched over
tentpole like frame when unfolded.  To make it really neat, make the
unfolding process simple and beautiful like a hoberman sphere.

When collapsed, I want it to be approximately PALM3 sized and have an
external touch sensitive rigid screen as today's Clie.  In this state it
work as the same "read-mostly" PDA that I use 80% of the time. It will be
bulkier than the other PDAs available, but more versatile and still
certainly within "pocket" realm.

Until we get better at producing robust miniaturized macromechanical
structures, that's the best I can come up with.

	JTS